Thursday, March 22, 2012

TV Review-----BENT

I will admit that I have been more fickle than usual lately with TV. After 3 episodes, I quit ALCATRAZ and after a smashing Pilot, GCB went quickly down the tubes. I have stuck with AWAKE which I find completely fascinating and beautifully written. When I saw that NBC was playing out six episodes of a new sitcom called BENT on 3 consecutive Wednesdays, I wasn't expecting much from a show that NBC clearly doesn't have a lot of faith in. The title BENT means that the two main characters are bent from life's mistakes, but not broken. Amanda Peet plays a newly divorced woman with a young daughter who needs some contracting work on her new house. She hires David Walton, a Ladies Man who immediately develops an eye for the beautiful Divorcee. The chemistry between Peet and Walton is fabulous and the incredibly smart dialogue has the feel of a 1930's screwball comedy with a definitive contemporary edge. Amanda Peet is incredibly appealing and has a real flair for this type of romantic comedy. David Walton is about as charming as a leading man can get with an enormous amount of sex appeal. Like I said, it's nice to see a Couple on tv that you can actually invest in and hope that the eventual hookup happens sooner rather than later. Jeffrey Tambor returns to network television as Walton's father, an aspiring actor that takes himself way too seriously, which is sad for him but oh so funny for us! I imagine that BENT will not get a second season since NBC has placed it in a timeslot against AMERICAN IDOL and MODERN FAMILY, but I will absolutely stick it out for the remaining four episodes. Peet and Walton are worth it and BENT deserves an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment