Sunday, March 11, 2012

DVD Review-----IDINA MENZEL-BAREFOOT AT THE SYMPHONY

I remember seeing WICKED in Previews on Broadway. One of my theatrical memories which will remain a permanent part of me forever was hearing Idina Menzel sing DEFYING GRAVITY at the end of Act One. As the lights came up for Intermission, I sat stunned by what I had just heard and seen. Idina Menzel had reached inside me and grabbed me as few performers had done before. I will never forget that evening. Last week, I purchased the DVD to Idina's first preserved Concert, IDINA MENZEL-BAREFOOT AT THE SYMPHONY, a 90 minute concert filmed live in Toronto. A full orchestra conducted by the legendary Marvin Hamlisch supports Idina's brilliant gorgeous vocals. She performs selections from THE WILD PARTY, CHESS, FUNNY GIRL, RENT, and of course, WICKED. In between songs, Idina's patter is charming, funny, and has the rare gift of seeming improvised and unrehearsed. Highlights of the concert include NO DAY BUT TODAY from RENT, LOVE FOR SALE/ROXANNE, and an Acapella unamplified FOR GOOD from WICKED. Her DEFYING GRAVITY alone was worth the price of the DVD. This is a wonderful evening of music that has been beautifully filmed with clear gorgeous sound quality. This Concert is airing on PBS in the coming weeks. If you have never experienced the wonder of Idina Menzel, seek this out. It is first class entertainment from one of the current superstars of Musical Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment