Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review-----GUTS by Kristen Johnston

After A MILLION LITTLE PIECES, I didn't think I could read another book about drug addiction. Whether fact or fiction, A MILLION LITTLE PIECES was an incredible book that I wasn't able to shake for months. So when I heard that actress Kristen Johnston was writing her own memoir chronicling her troubles with drugs, my initial thought was to skip it. Just another Hollywood tale of an Actress gone bad.... Last week, however, I kept reading Reviews of this book that stated clearly that it was uncharted territory and well worth reading. I opened the book late last night and found it nearly impossible to put down. 12 hours later, the book was finished. It is a harrowing read. Yet also laugh out loud funny with the kind of warped humor that only Kristen Johnston could provide. This is not a Hollywood behind the scenes tale. If you are looking for what John Lithgow was like on the set of 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN, this is not the book for you. In fact, if it wasn't for the occasional reference to a movie, tv show or play that employed her, you would never really know this was the story of an Actress. I opened the book not knowing much about what she went through, which added to my masochistic enjoyment of the experience reading it. So I am going to keep the surprises in the book on the page and not in this Review. If you have a weak stomach and strongly dislike profanity, I would say that you would be better off not even glancing in the direction of GUTS. The title of the book alone references a large portion of the story that I would say might spoil your lunch if you enjoy reading at the table. GUTS will not be for everyone, but for me, it was a fascinating car crash that I couldn't quite get enough of. By all accounts, Kristen Johnston shouldn't be alive to tell her story, but we are all the better for her incredibly brave honesty.

1 comment:

  1. You are right it's a hard book to put down, after I read it, I needed more so I got the "audio Book" @ itunes and listening to her read it, It was even better I highly
    recommend it,, Bill

    ReplyDelete