Monday, June 4, 2012

TV Review-----LONGMIRE


A few years ago, a member of my Church asked if I had read any of Craig Johnston's popular series novels revolving around Sheriff Walt Longmire.  I hadn't but I said I would check them out.  I read one of them and greatly enjoyed it.  I didn't feel the need to read anymore of them, but I truly did appreciate both the writing and the great characters.  So I was anxious to see if after watching the Pilot episode of A&E's new drama LONGMIRE, I would feel compelled to continue viewing each week.  And based on the excellent first episode, I think I might have a new addiction.  LONGMIRE takes place in a small Wyoming county in the present day.  Walt Longmire has been widowed a year and is just able to return to his daily job as Sheriff of Absaroka County.  His first day back at the job, a dead body is discovered high in the mountains and the murder investigation begins.  The characterizations are as complex and interesting as they were in the novel.  Australian Robert Taylor plays Longmire and it's a very subtle and affecting performance.  Mr Taylor doesn't make a wrong move in the Pilot and makes you truly care about this character.  Katee Sackhoff plays one of Longmire's Deputy's and she's terrific.  Lou Diamond Phillips is wonderful as Longmire's best friend.  Bailey Chase plays the local heartthrob who is also running against Longmire for the Sheriff position in the next election.  As with most television procedurals, the coincidences needed to solve the mystery in 60 minutes stretch the imagination at times, but the script is so smart and the performances are so good that you overlook the few false moments.  LONGMIRE can please several members of the audience.  It's part Western, part Detective Drama, part Family Drama, and has enough attractive people in the Cast to keep the eye candy plentiful.  I greatly enjoyed LONGMIRE.  Might make me want to pick up another one of the books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment